First Start a Checklist
- Contact Utility Companies. (Phone, gas, electric, cable, etc.)
- Notify Post Office of change of address.
- Schedule rental truck or mover.
- Order packing supplies (Boxes, Tape, etc.).
- Pack your survival kit (essentials that shouldn't be packed).
- Prepare rental car, airline, and hotel arrangements.
- Keep family health records handy for the move.
- Arrange for family/friend to take children/pets for the day.
- Moving costs may be tax deductible, so hang on to receipts.
On Moving Day
- Keep all entrances & exits to house clear.
- Put down a non-slip covering on floors and rugs, to help keep clean during heavy traffic.
- Have sidewalks & driveway shoveled and salted.
- Have a plan for furniture placement in rooms.
- Keep beverages and snacks handy, they will help keep workers energized and motivated.
- Call phone company 1-2 weeks before move to arrange for new service to be turned on the day before the move. Also for old service to be turned off the day after the move.
- Have gas, electric, & water turned on the day before you move in, And for old service to be turned off the day after your move.
- Call cable company with your new address to arrange for installation.